Monday, November 2, 2015

NaNoWriMo Journal- November 2, 2015

Well, NaNoWriMo is here!

After so long a wait for so many authors-to-be, it has finally fallen upon us. And how is it going, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

For some inexplicable reasons of my own, I wrote zero words yesterday. That will be the case every Sunday, actually. But this morning at 5:45, I buckled down, coffee in hand, and wrote. Very thankful for the time change.

When I started, I was extremely nervous. Beginnings are hard for me; the beginning sets the tone for the whole novel, it is what captures readers, and I have always been more than a little intimidated by them. But alas! I had to start somewhere, and as the song says:



So, I started.

It was rocky at first. I stared at the screen with a fluttering feeling in my stomach for a few minutes before actually starting. I felt like this:



I rewrote the beginning about seven times before forcing myself to just keep going. Just finish the sentence, the paragraph, the page. Finally, I found my groove and really got down to business. By 10 a.m., I had gone over my daily word count goal by almost 2,000 words. Up to 3,344 words, and revving my engine for round two!

I will probably write more today; hoping to reach the 5,000 marker by tomorrow (Why? I don't know; I just want to.). So far, so good.

I have got to say though, having an outline is so helpful at this point. I think I might have disappeared in to a puddle of tears this morning if I had not had my outline handy. It saved me from stressing over where to start. It was just a matter of how  to start, which I was able to figure out eventually. And because of it, I know where I'm going, what I am driving towards, and it helps keep things from dragging.

As an aside, I wanted to encourage other WriMoinas who struggle (like myself) with beginnings to just write it. I have already accepted the fact that there will have to be some serious revisions already, and I'm barely ten pages in. Advice: accept that your rough draft will be, well, rough, write, deal with it and move on. All your favorite authors have to go through revision after revision, too, so don't be too hard on yourself. Really.

Just Write.

So, that's my day. Let me know in the comments how your first couple days of NaNoWriMo went, or your own advice about beginnings.

As always, Happy Writing!

Total Word Count at the End of the Day: 4,496 Words

No comments:

Post a Comment