Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Book Review- Book of a Thousand Days (Shannon Hale)

Hello, my fellow readers!

Today begins the book reviews fabled of old (or, as the case may be, fabled of yesterday). When thinking of a good book to begin this new leaf in my blog, several went through my mind. There are a lot of good books out there! But I wanted to do something good, a book that I love and have read and reread over and again. So, this was the first book that popped into my mind.

Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale


Summary:

"When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a tower for seven years because of Saren's refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment.

As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. With the arrival outside the tower of Saren's two suitors--one welcome, the other decidedly less so--the girls are confronted with both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desperate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows." (From Goodreads

This book is one that I fell in love with when I first read it. It tells a complete and fulfilling story of a girl full of unwavering faithfulness, to her Lady, her Mother, and her Khan. Dashti is so easy to relate to, and such a wonderful narrator. Told in diary format, this book takes you an a journey with her, both emotional as well as physical.

Pros:

There are so many pros to this book, it is hard to choose a select amount. I love the lyrical language that Shannon Hale uses. I love the clear and personal character voice that Dashti has. I love the plot, the twists, the intrigue, the suspense and the characters, every one. I do not even know how many times I have read this book, but each time that I go back to it, find more hidden gems in the familiar pages. It is easy to get in to, and the story flows beautifully. And Dashti. I seriously love that girl. So much.

Cons:

Actually, there is only one Kahn in this book. (Yes, that was a terrible pun.) So, one of the biggest things for me with this book is Lady Saren. She is a bit whiny (okay, maybe more than a bit), and there are some times when all I wanted to do was slap her across the face. That was a bit annoying, I know, but that is really the only thing. This story is one that is so full, so poignant at times, and so rich, though, that Lady Saren should not be the reason you refuse to pick up this book (or put it down).

Rating: 5 Stars

Readablity: High. Easy to get into, captivating and exciting.

Age Range: 14+ (My mother read it, too, and she loved it, bawling at the end, saying, "It's over, it's over.")

Is it Rereadable? For sure. Read it a million times, loved it each and every time.

Would you buy this book? Totally.

Would you read other books by this author? I would and I have.

Additional Notes: If you have not read this book, I beg of you, give it a try. It is one of the best books that I have read. Do not deny yourself this pleasure!

Happy Reading!

Visit Shannon Hale's website here.

Find out more about Book of a Thousand Days here.

No comments:

Post a Comment