Friday, December 25, 2015

Some Christmas Wishes and a Writing Update--

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Can you believe that the end of the year is upon us? I know that I surely can't. But, nevertheless, I wish you all the best of Christmases, and a wonderfully-fabulous and absolutely-jovial New Year. In short, I wish all my readers all of the very best!

But I have not been unproductive this Holiday season. No, I have actually been in writing overdrive of late. When I am not furiously typing on my laptop, filling in a new story idea, or refining my newest outline (the one for next November, of course), then i am watching. I am looking, observing, and thinking. There are so many things in the world to notice, things to put together, ideas to formulate, that there is no time for dilly-dallying. No time for that at all. Ergo, I am constantly at work, if not always tangibly.

Also, I wanted to share my December Books-on-Writing Haul with you. Today, I got several new books which I want to recommend to you all.

Book One: The Writer's Journey, by Christopher Vogler.

This book is one that I have turned to time and again. True, I was borrowing a copy of it, but do not let that hinder you from purchasing (or at least reading!) this book. It was written aimed at writing Screenplays, but that just makes it all the more valuable, for it will force you to learn how to write concisely. It is also home to the fabled (by me, at least) Hero's Journey, which has helped me structure and write meaningful and strong stories.

Book Two: The Elements of Style, By William Strunk, Jr. & E.B. White

Though I have not finished this book, I will already recommend it from what I have read today. This book is small-- pocket sized and thin-- and already I have found several wonderful little nuggets that have my mind whirring with possible ways to realize them. (I would share them here if not for fear of copyright infringement.) So, yes, I recommend this book to all who have written, write, or plan to write in the future.

Book Three: The Art of Fiction, by John Gardner

This book. I cannot say enough good about this volume. It is not very long (150 pages? 200?), but so chock full of good advice, beautiful language and thought provoking ponderings that it will keep you on your proverbial toes in writing.

That said, I again wish you all the best Christmas and even better New Year!

And, as always, Happy Writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment