Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Writing Journal- December 9, 2015

I know it's not November, and that NaNoWriMo is over (cry cry), but today I thought, Hey, why not keep everyone posted on the Writing Process? I am, after all, always in the Writing Process.

Today was kind of special for me, actually, because I have kind of been in a writing lull since NaNo ended. That was ten days ago (my, my, where did the time go?). I have been writing everyday, as usual, but I really wasn't feeling it. I had to push myself to just get a couple hundred words written. And though I have had this idea for a new story formulating in my brain since the second week (or so) of November, I have had a TON of plot holes in just the general gist of it that I had going. But tonight, I decided, that would be no more.

I got home tonight after a long day (Wednesday's are always long, and Wednesday's in December are even worse), and all I wanted to do was curl up in bed with a good book, read, and go to sleep. Problem was, I finished my book yesterday, and have yet to go to the library. And I don't feel like a reread at the moment. So, I decided I would focus on the next best thing to reading. You guessed it! Sleeping. Just kidding, you were right the first time; Writing.

So, I sat down at my desk with a notebook, a pencil, and a three foot stack of 3x5 cards, ready to set to work. But, as always, there was a problem starting. I wanted to do an outline of one of two story ideas that I have fresh in my mind, but I had no idea where to start. So I knew it was time for a Plot Vomit (see The Planning Process for more information on this). To do this, though, I had to choose quickly which plot to go with. That seemed like a momentous decision right then, because whatever story I outline now is bound to be the next one I write. And that is no small commitment, as well you know.

But in the end, I chose a plot (the very one that I have spoken of before, the one that came to me in week two of NaNo.). Then, at the top of the page, I wrote in bold letters:

                                                                 Plot Vomit

Then I commenced to staring at my page for a few minutes. Sipping my chocolate milk (guilty pleasure). Crossing and uncrossing my legs. Doodling in the corner of my page. In short, I was Procrastinating. And not the good kind that I encourage when in the act of writing. But finally, I buckled down, I vowed to never look at a blank page again without wondering, dreaming of what I could fill it with. I took one final empowering drought from my plastic tankard of milk, rolled my shoulders, and wrote.

It was beautiful, what happened next. I had expected my plot vomit to be about, oh, I don't know, a paragraph or two. Really just a place to start, an idea to work with. Ha.  Well, five pages later, I had something very close to my preliminary outline. I even began typing it up. For me, that is totally amazing. I am feeling good, and ready to write. Or, at least, to outline.

But now it is late, I am still tired (tired-er?)  and bed is beckoning to me. So, goodnight to all, and to all a goodnight! (Or something like that.)

And, (yes, you know what comes next), as always, Happy Writing!




No comments:

Post a Comment