Monday, January 11, 2016

December Book Haul--

I know this is late, but I had so many books to add, and so little time. Forgive me, I pray you. And enjoy this list. Maybe some of these books will end up on your lists one day.

1. The Elements of Style, by E.B. White & William Strunk, Jr.



I have already quoted this book to you, and if that is not enough for you to realize how good of a book this is, I don't know what will. It is brief and concise and, at 85 pages, is one of the most helpful and practical books on writing well and the art of making good sentences that I have ever read. And I have read a lot. Six out of five stars.

2. The Writer's Journey, by Christopher Vogler



This book is crucial for structuring a good story. Aimed at screenwriters, it is one of the most clear and understandable books for story structure. Vogler tells what is good and what is cliché, and he is determined to make you a better writer and storyteller by making you think about what makes a good story-- the characters. It's a must-read for writers of all kinds. Five out of five stars.

3. The Art of Fiction, by John Gardner



Split into two contrasting parts, this book is half philosophical musings of an intelligent writer and half handbook for the rest of us. Gardener writes about what it is that makes good writing, and why you are having trouble. He also muses about the craft, the art, as it were, that creative writing is. After all, it is art, and there can be handbooks meant to show you proper technique, but the rest of it is up to you. He won't hold your hand with paintbrush in it; he'll guide you so you know which colors go where, and how.  Five-and-a-half out of five stars

4. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King

This book, I have not yet finished. So far, though, it has been mostly autobiography. It is very entertaining, and I would recommend this one to King-fans and writers alike. Praised for his candor, King does not romanticize the act of writing; he tells it like it is. So if you have any delusions of writing being just so much fun! then this book is for you. I'll let the King set you straight. But he does not discourage the amateur author; rather, he encourages them, telling them to stick it out. It's worth it in the end. Definitely worth a read. Four-and-three-quarters out of five stars.

5. Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale



Now we have changed directions of all of these books. This one is one of my all-time favorites, but I have already written about it. To find out more of this book, click here.

6. The Elite, by Kiera Cass



This book is the second book of the Selection Trilogy. (Yes, I said trilogy. The Heir is a spin-off series, not from th original. I refuse to say it is part of the same series. Throw stuff at me all day, but I will stand firm on this one.) I read these books really fast the first time, and loved them. I know some of you are shaking your heads and saying that I just have poor taste, but come on; you have to at least give them a try. After all, don't judge a book by it's haters. This is a great story. To find out more, click here. Or, for info on Book One, The Selection, click here. Four-and-three-quarters out of Five stars.

7. The One, by Kiera Cass



The last book of the Selection Trilogy. This is the epic conclusion to the whole thing, and I. Love. It. Yes, I freely admit that. I really do love it. Find out more about it here. Five out of Five stars.

That's a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment