Friday, March 18, 2016

Some Thoughts on NaNoWriMo-

As Camp NaNoWriMo fast approaches, many of us WriMos find ourselves thinking on past NaNoWriMo experiences. Or is it just me?

Anyway, I just thought I would share some of the thoughts on National Novel Writing Month that I have.



1. You Should Totally Do It. Whether you are an amateur or a published author, NaNoWriMo is a great way to kick start your novel. Win or not, you are a heck of a lot farther by the end of it than you were in October. I mean, come on. What other way, short of a deadline and a paycheck, is going to get you motivated enough to set aside time every day to write at least two pages? Um, nothing. So what are you waiting for??

2. The People You Meet Are Amazing. Four months later, and I am still in regular contact with my Writing Buddies from November. And they are totally awesome. Whether we are motivating each other to revise the crap out of our manuscripts, helping each other with Writerly issues, or just chatting and having fun, we always enjoy hearing from each other and  encouraging one another.

3. It's Not As Hard As I Thought It Would Be. Here is the scene I expected going into NaNoWriMo: My desk littered with empty coffee mugs and chocolate wrappers; my house in utter chaos and messiness; my family's stomachs empty because no one was cooking or buying groceries for them; my friends shaking their heads at me whenever I managed to emerge from my Cave of Writerly Isolation;  my bloodshot eyes glued to the screen of my laptop, brain dead but for one thought pulsing through my entire being: one more word, one more word, one more word.

Pretty much, I expected to become a writer-zombie. I expected NaNoWriMo to utterly take over my life for thirty days. But in reality? It really didn't. It was like regular life, but I was excited to get up in the wee hours of the morning to write. I looked forward to the next time my fingers would fly over my keyboard. But I still had time to do the household chores that had to be done. I still had time to practice violin extensively everyday. Heck, I even had time to go away for an entire weekend, plus my always-take-Sundays-off rule, plus a Thanksgiving break. And I still won on the 27th, after 20 days of actually writing.

So, why haven't you signed up for NaNoWriMo? It's free (though I would strongly encourage donating!), and you really don't  have to give up your life for it! All that can come of it is good.

And if you are a NaNo Veteran, I am sure you are looking forward to November as much as I am. After all, you know what's coming.


As Always,
Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment