Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Baking-

When I got up this morning, there was an unusual desire within me to bake something. What, I didn't know, but I had to bake something from scratch. So, one trip to the grocery store and a quick Google search later, I learned how to make homemade banana bread. Now the scents of the baking bread permeate the air, and I have settled down at my kitchen table to write for the day. (Or, at least, for the beginning of the day. You never no when inspiration may strike, after all. *Smiles coyly.)

This is just a reminder that though you are a writer, that is not all you are. This morning I proved that I am a baking writer. I am a bread-baking, violin-playing, book-reading, blog-creating, food-cooking, flower-arranging, picture-doodling, people-loving writer. Writing is not who I am. It is just something that I do. Something that I love to do, for sure, but at the end of the day, if I was told I could never write again, it would not be the end of the world.

So I just want to challenge you to think about who you are. You are not just a writer, not just a reader, though those things are certainly a part of you. There is so much more to being a person than just the things we do. What about the things you think? Or the things you say? Don't those have something to do with you, at the core?

Don't fall into the monotonous rhythm of "writing," so that it becomes nothing more than lugging yourself out of bed in the morning and punching the keys of your laptop just so you can finish you book and start another one. Do other things. Discover new things, meet new people, learn something that interests you. You are not just a writer. 

After all, some mornings you just need to learn how to bake banana bread.

Happy Writing.

1 comment: